Boyish Charm

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Wow..

We have had a horrible week around here. Part of the beginning of it was us finding one of Don's buddies dead at 4am while we were out working last Monday morning. He was in an automobile accident where he lost control of the vehicle and flipped it. Unfortunately he was in an open jeep with no seatbelt. Horrible! (there is much more to the week, but I won't bore you all) We ended it the week with the funeral!

I wasn't able to go due to a sitter, but Don definitely went. It was a huge funeral. The kid was only 19 and had just graduated high school.

I guess just from the whole situation it got Don thinking about things. He came home and told me we needed to talk (I hate that sentence, usually isn't good stuff). He told me that in the line of work that he does, the chance that he might not come home one day is greater than many other jobs that he could be doing. (this is true)

He has now decided that he wants me to be half owner of everything company wise. He is afraid that if something happens that everything could go into probate and I could be screwed financially. (of course we don't have a life insurance policy, something we need to get) He wants the company to stay alive even if he isn't. He talked about me going down and getting all the certifications that he has so that I know what is going on. I already deal with quite a bit of company related issues anyhow, but he wants me to know all the legal bits too.

He knows that I would have plenty of support from others that are knowledgeable in this field also and we both think that my dad would step up and help me out.

I have to have someway to support our huge family if (God Forbid) something happened to him.

It's just one of those conversations that you really don't want to have to discuss. Why would you want to talk about the future and the person you care the most about not being in it?!?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:18 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said…

    it does stink, but ya gotta talk about these things! we are blessed that the military provides life insurance policies ... and I do force myself to think about it from time to time, so I have a mental plan ... just in the unlikely event of something ever happening to him! I mean, some people might think it's morbid or that I'm strange ... but rather than shutting down (mentally, emotionally, etc.) and being useless to my kids, I want to have that mental plan in place. Sorry to hear about your not so good week, on a good note - though - it was GREAT to see ya'll again!

     
  • At 3:15 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we have had to have "the talk" here too.... thank God for military life insurance policies - that's helped so much to have it all in place. We still need to sit down and do our wills, and i need to renew my power of attorney. no fun... but its good to get it overwith, and know you dont have to worry about it anymore... *HUGS*!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home